Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Cleansed


The Cleansed is a very ambitious project from Fred Greenhaigh which imagines a post-apocalyptic America (similar though not quite as downbeat as the one in The Road) and what might happen in the wilds of Maine when strangers come from the broken city that was once New York.  In listening to the first episode of season 1, I was certainly struck by the scale of the story, which was using dozens of actors in dozens of roles as well as recording on location in Maine.  Certainly there are some who will say that audio does not lend itself well to battles of any kind, and nine times out of ten, I agree with them.  That the first episode of The Cleansed includes one is further evidence of its sense of determination, and overall it just about works, as quickly after that we switch back into the story of Luke and Maria, our protagonists.  

I have a feeling that to get really into The Cleansed, I would have to block out a merciless schedule of catch-up, as I feel an epic like this kind would suffer from casual listening (similar to many people’s reactions to Life and Fate).  If you check out the website, this epic has clearly been deeply thought through, and, as I understand it, will present a political case in future episodes.  I applaud all the effort that has gone into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment