Sunday, December 2, 2012

Bravery


Bravery is also written by Jack J. Ward and proves to be another spine-tingling display of why your radio imagination will always trump TV or film for pure creative power.  It’s a short piece that has gotten the whole family involved, with Wards’ three sons playing the leads.  I know that audio these days tends to be populated by networks of friends and sometimes family members, but this is the first time I can remember a story written and directed by Dad and starring the Boys (though of course Paul McGann gets to act opposite his son Jake in a number of Big Finish stories, and in those cases Jake is playing his dad’s great-grandson!).   
Unfortunately, or fortunately, for me, I had in mind the opening ten minutes of a TV show called American Horror Story while I listened to three young friends disappearing into Old Man Miller’s abandoned house.  As a keen armchair urban explorer, I was literally on the edge of my seat wondering whether the three boys would succumb to fatalities natural (ie, falling through a condemned building) or satanic when they squeezed through the padlocked door to find a football.  I won’t give away the ending to you, but I will say it wasn’t the one I expected! 

No comments:

Post a Comment